Saturday, April 07, 2007

I feel like George Bush

I don't get the American people.

The box office numbers just came in for Grindhouse on Friday and they are bad.

Like "Hey Hey You You I Don't Like Your Girlfriend" bad.

$5 Million on Friday means that Grindhouse is now officially the biggest bomb for these two directors since "Four Rooms." And I don't get it. Don't you people like explosions and violence and cars and women? Weren't these movies designed for MASS POPCORN CONSUMPTION? And yet outside of Austin, NYC, LA, and other metros this movie probably died a quick death. And it boggles my mind.

Grindhouse is a Texas movie. If this movie had a belt buckle it would be the size of my head. Seeing Shiner and the Alamo Drafthouse on the big screen brought a smile to my face. This double feature was a damn fine three hours and now I feel like I'm going to have to pitch this movie in ten years instead of sharing quotes from it. It's disheartening. Catch it on sunday folks, encourage good Austin cinema or you won't have it anymore.

No comments: