Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A somber tone...

April 20th, 1999
September 11th, 2001
April 16th 2007

I remember these days. They are burned in my head as much as they are in the people in my same age range. I remember where I was, what I did, the locations are vivid, the aftermath clear. These are not days that I want to mark in the mental diary that I keep, but I must, I must hold on to those memories, if only to remind me of the precious nature of life, the fragility, and to understand the unpredictability of our road to the future.

My heart goes out deeply to all of those who have been affected by these events. My heart goes out even more to those my age, whose life is forever altered because of three hellish hours.

***************

The mourning must not be interrupted by those who seek to try and find a "Cause." A cause to these people is simply something to blame. Let people bury the dead, treat the wounded, reflect, and then, and only then, should you start looking at how this can happen. Don't let this become another columbine where the 24-hour media decided that music, movies, and video games caused a massacre.

***************

I heard people asking why, how can somebody do this? The answer is not easy to hear but we must accept the fact that people get left behind. People who have problems, who lose the ability to ask for help, who get lost in the shuffle, and who get caught in a cycle of hatred and detachment and then begin to believe that they do not have the problem, the world around them is the problem. This is a truly catastrophic combination of circumstances. It doesn't happen often, and it isn't easy to see, and frankly I wouldn't begin to offer a solution to this problem. But we must understand that inside of a human lies the ability to do great good, and great evil.

***************
I would like to lighten the mood with a YouTube video, but I can't. What I am going to do is show an example of context. On Saturday, this video was funny.



Today, it's not. The context of comedy is so fickle.

No comments: